Pages

Ramblings of a citizen and experiences of an entreuprener

This is about my way of life. It has two parts, one is related to the world around me and the other part is my experiences as an entrepreneur. Check out our website www.shaktiindia.com

Monday, September 12, 2011

TAXIS TAXIS More on Taxis



3.45 AM, the ringing telephone forces me out of my slumber, it is the Meru Taxi driver due to pick me up in 15 minutes asking for directions. It also serves as a wake up call, as I need just 15 minutes to be dressed to head for the airport to take my flight to Goa. I step  into an air-conditioned clean taxi. The driver, indicates he is starting the meter and off we go. At the airport, he prints the bill and heads off to where ever.  He accepts the fare of Rs 220/- for the 11 Km journey. DELIGHTED CUSTOMER
I get off at Goa head for the pre paid taxi counter, announce Verna as my destination and pay Rs 450/-. I then trudge with my bags 250 mts and wait while the driver gets the car. The, Omni has seen better days but it is ok. While driving to Verna, I ask the driver why for the same 11 km drive I have to pay twice as much in a non AC car. He replies that he does not get a return fare and petrol is expensive.  I wonder if the meru driver got free petrol to pick me up and then travel from the airport to the next customer. CHEATED CUSTOMER
It is cheaper to fly to Bangkok than fly to Delhi from Mumbai.  This summer the whole family  went to Puket.  Phuket was a longish kind of island and our hotel being at the end furthest  from the action areas, we decided to hire a car. The bell desk made a call and the driver arrived with a Camry automatic at what was a bargain price if you come from Goa. Rs 1800/- for 24 hrs plus petrol. The whole family, numbering five had a swell time driving around. DELIGHTED CUSTOMER
Once we landed in Mumbai , the ordeal started. The meru cab could not accept my request as they are not allowed to ply from the international airport. So after immigration, baggage and customs we had to stand in another line to book a BLACK & YELLOW taxi.  We, made our way to the stand, two rickety FIATS with carriers were assigned to us. The dicky was occupied by a CNG tank. Since I had booked the taxi to an area, the driver felt I would have to pay extra for door delivery. I objected, ten minutes were spent arguing with the driver and the policeman and finally we left, nothing extra was due. HARRESSED CUSTOMER
A friend staying  at a South Goa Hotel and wanted to catch up with me. Instead of asking me to pick him up he decided to take a taxi. Wow 6 hrs 60 km for 2000/-. Since he was on holiday he said ok, on the other days 6 days, he just stayed put in the hotel and enjoyed the pool and hotel food. No sight seeing for him.  IRATE CUSTOMER
Hiring an AC Indica in Pune or Delhi, where I go on work is easy and hassle free. All operators charge Rs 850/- for 80 kms. Again the hotel receptionist will make a call and the car will arrive with minimum fuss. An operator can come to any hotel to pick guests, no territorial rights are assigned nor any alpha male syndrome at work here. SATISFIED CUSTOMER
If we look at the pattern above you will notice that business is booming where the customer is satisfied or delighted. Black & Yellow taxis are facing the threat of extinction in Mumbai. In Thailand taxis support the booming tourist industry.  In Goa, the taxi trade and the hotel industry, both vital arms of the tourism industry are at logger heads.  Till they arrive at a “win win” formula both will lose, the taxi trade more than the hotel industry.  The only way forward is for the taxi trade to focus on the “local”. If the local market is tapped it opens up a constant and ever present customer. This segment is price sensitive. Higher the price, lower volume and lower the price, higher volume.  What is the solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment