Pages

Ramblings of a citizen and experiences of an entreuprener

This is about my way of life. It has two parts, one is related to the world around me and the other part is my experiences as an entrepreneur. Check out our website www.shaktiindia.com

Monday, October 14, 2013

The Reluctant Entreuprener: Building Workforce Trust

How an organisation will respond to disciplinary issues will be decided while in its infancy. If at the start the Boss is strict or lenient, it will set the tone for the organisational culture in future. Discipline to my mind is a function of trust the employees have in their management.

Handling, my first brush with a potential disciplinary situation as an entrepreneur, went in my favour and set the tone in a good way. One morning, I noticed that none of the workers had entered the factory even though is was time. I went out and found the 10 odd employees standing in a group, one of them brusquely told me that my supervisor had instructed them to enter from a particular gate and since it was not open, he said they were waiting, despite the fact that another door was open.

Two thoughts were screaming in my head, how could this worker speak to me in this tone, was I not the Boss. The other knowing he was making a point. One was a reflection of the irritation I felt because the work had not started in time and the other the voice of reason.

I suppressed the irritation and focused on the reason. I ignored the tone and focused on what was being said. I reasoned with myself that since he had no particular training in speaking he was making his point as best he could and to his mind he was doing the right thing following instructions while believing the rule to be unreasonable. I asked him would it not be better to talk to me about his thinking on the rule of using a particular door rather than trying to grab my attention by stopping work. Would it not be better to take 5 mins to discuss the issue while the shift was on. He agreed. So I asked him to go in through the open with the others and and start the shift, while promising to talk to the supervisor and finding out why he made the rule.

This set the tone, one dialogue was the key to resolving any issue, stopping or hampering wok was not a solution and most importantly supervisors were important. Had I focused on the tone the matter would have taken a different turn, had I forced then to go through the open door, the supervisor would have got undermined and in future when he said something it would be disregarded. By shifting the focus to dialogue we set the tone and it has worked for us, after 17 years of operations we have not a manday because of stoppage of work.

The other interesting feature of man management is an ability to accept that management makes mistakes and these mistakes must be acknowledged and corrected if possible. Increments are normally announced ¾ months after the due date due to delay in evaluations, but they are paid w. e. f. the due date. However once year it was brought to our notice that overtime was calculated at the old rate and now since the new rates were retrospective the overtime should be recalculated an difference paid. The advice available that since it is difficult to recalculate the same should be ignored as the amount would anyway not be much. What I saw was the fact that “trust” was involved, the employees agreed to a delay in increments to accommodate our evaluation procedure because they believed it caused no loss to them. Therefore it was not the amount in question but the principle. We recalculated the overtime and paid the difference. A small amount but a large step towards building trust.

I used to notice employees left on the 7th of the month after collecting their pay. I assume they felt that if the quit earlier they may not have got paid. We made it a point to pay the salary for the 7 days. The message went out to those who were still with us, we were not going to short change the employees. Never the less the practice of quitting on pay day no longer exists.

Be firm and fare and your new years will surely be good. Happy new year.


No comments:

Post a Comment